Saturday, June 11, 2011

But, does every vote HAVE to count?

Oh, the boys in the bar love a good political story on TV, what if there’re no sports on ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, “ESPN the ocho,” etc. Democracy and dictatorship – those are two topics, often morphing into a singular one that makes for a spirited debate between sips of spirits.



Let me go on the record here: As a devout believer in democracy, freedom, and liberty, deep down I don’t really have any strong objections against tyrannical dictatorship as long as one simple rule is observed, and that is that I get to be the dictator.

Not coincidentally, the same goes for censorship; if I’m the censor, then no problem.

Alas, break the simple rules, and all doesn’t seem so bright, right and rosy.

Anyway, the subject of voting came up between martinis it conjured back memories of a flight I had into Oakland International Airport – an awfully regal name earned by having a daily flight to Mexico, or what we often call South San Diego - 12 or 13 years ago, before I relocated to the Bay area. Pre-9/11, this was when the rental car lots were right across from the terminals, a brisk 45 second walk through the congregation of smokers who cloud the vicinity of every public building on the west coast.

I showed my Washington license to the National attendant, who offhandedly remarked, “Oh, Washington, D.C.”

I politely corrected her. “Washington state,” I replied.

Naturally, she said …

… wait for it …

… “What’s the difference?”

Where to begin? Geographically? Politically? Ideologically? Existentially?

I decided to take the Kindergarten approach and said, “Washington, D.C. is the nation’s capital, on the east coast, between Maryland and Virginia, while Washington state is two states above California here on the west coast, you know, where Seattle is.”

“Uh, yeah, whatever. Will you be returning the car full of fuel or would you like to prepay the entire tank?”

I drove off that day in my non-descript, no frills GM fleet car with a profound realization. Being old enough to have a job meant that dumb ass was old enough to vote. Granted, I don’t know if she was smart enough to vote, but she was certainly old enough to vote, although working at the Oakland airport meant it was possible, if not entirely probable, that she was a convicted felon, and therefore prohibited by law from exercising that right.

I enjoy hearing public policy debate and commenting to a friend that I am looking forward to canceling her vote with my opposite vote at the polls. That perspective is so much more funny than the realization that some dumb ass “what’s the difference between Washington D.C. and Washington state” voter might cancel out my own vote.

Oh my, I just thought of it – What if she actually voted with me? What would that say about my choices?

Nah, that’s just nonsense.

So, the true realities present themselves. We’ve got to get people out to vote, but we’ve got to get the right people out to vote. You know, the right people – the people who see things as I see them.


If you end up with too many voters like that National attendant, you’ll likely end up with Sarah Palin in office. Then, when she’s in her U-Haul driving around Seattle looking for the White House, we’re going to have to bring that entire Washington D.C./Washington state debate to a bigger, broader public forum, and that’s something I just don’t know if I have the stomach for anymore.

Hit me on Twitter @RayHartjen.

No comments:

Post a Comment