Friday, October 16, 2009

Hungry for More

The other day, I was hungry, and, it sucked. Bad. I mean, I was starving. To the point it felt like my stomach was trying to eat itself.

Mind you, it was 5:00 pm, less than a handful of hours after I had eaten lunch. I don't know, maybe I ate a slightly smaller lunch. Or, maybe I napped less and burned more energy in the afternoon. Regardless, I was hungry and unhappy.

Of course, I wasn't really hungry at all. Four hours removed from a meal doesn't exactly qualify as hunger. There would be no telethon in my honor.

How much would it suck to really be hungry? I'm talking haven't-eaten-anything-in-days type of hunger. You know, like hundreds of millions of people on our planet.

This afternoon, I heard a talking head on NPR talk about the suffering we've been doing during this global recession. I took a quick glance around. Road clogged with luxury imports? Check. Starbucks on the corner full of people getting $3 coffees? Check. Every person in site tweeting on a smart phone? Check. Going home to a house not made of mud and hay? Check.

I guess suffering means having to cut back your Starbucks intake from 18 a week to 15. Hey, bring your own mug, you can even save a dime!

"They" say the economy is improving. I don't know. Just in case, I'm going to hedge my bets. Less food, more drinking. That way, if it doesn't turn around, I won't really give a shit.

Plus, I think I wear that long-hair, unshaven, drunken, broken, tortured-artist-soul look well too. With any luck, the chicks will dig it.

Look what it did for Kurt Cobain. Except for the whole suicide part, that is.

Gonna to have to get more used to those hunger pains.

Follow the party on Twitter @RayHartjen

No comments:

Post a Comment